Supplement doesn't seem to be working? Bioavailability could be the problem
Our bodies can change dramatically over time and unfortunately, so do our nutritional needs. This means we often have gaps in our nutrition, which can still be the case even with healthy diets and active lifestyles. Supplements can help, but most over-the-counter formulations are not designed with effectiveness in mind.
This is where bioavailability plays a huge role. After all, the most expensive supplement you’ve taken is the one you didn’t fully absorb! By taking a little time to understand how bioavailability works, you can optimise your nutrient intake and deliver benefits to your wellbeing efficiently.
So what is bioavailability?
According to the National Institute of Health’s Office of Dietary Supplements, bioavailability is defined as “the amount of a given nutrient in food, medication, and supplements that are absorbed by the body and ultimately made available for biological activity in your cells and tissues.”
In simple terms, it is a vital measure of how much of a substance our bodies are able to absorb and direct to the target area. Macronutrients such as carbohydrates and fats are easily absorbed by the body so it is easier to control the intake of these components. Micronutrients on the other hand (these are your vitamins, minerals, flavonoids and carotenoids) can be more difficult to absorb - which is where supplements come into play.
Why does it matter?
Bioavailability is key in nutritional science and one’s overall quality of life. In spite of this it is one of the most neglected concepts in nutritional health. A lot of supplements claim to provide a certain amount of nutrient within a single dose however it may not have any effect on the body if delivered in a less efficient form.
As we age, our metabolism slows down and our digestive systems tend not to work as well. Therefore bioavailability is key to maintaining a healthy and balanced nutrient intake as we get older but also minimising the strain on our bodies by making sure every supplement we take is delivering maximum benefit to our bodies.
Can we increase bioavailability?
Crucially there are plenty of factors which determine how bioavailable a particular nutrient is.
• Supplement formulation – nutrients are often found in a variety of forms and compounds. Some compounds are more easily absorbed than others, however these are usually more expensive or in less supply than less efficient sources
• Method of delivery – capsules tend to be more effective than tablets because the capsule shell ensures a slow release of nutrients further down in the digestive system, as opposed to being broken down in stomach straight away
• Digestive health – gut inflammation or imbalance can affect the absorption of certain nutrients (although the catch-22 is that the gut issues can be caused the deficiencies in certain nutrients such as calcium!)
• The time of day the supplement is taken – Some nutrients are delivered more effectively earlier in the day and should be taken in the morning, whereas other nutrients are fine to take any time of day
• Supplement interactions – some nutrients can assist the absorption of other nutrients, while there are some that should not be taken at the same time and instead, balanced out throughout the day so each can be absorbed efficiently
Why choose a multivitamin with high bioavailability?
A multivitamin with high bioavailability will allow your body to absorb more of the appropriate nutrient within a single dose. It is not only more cost-efficient but also reduces the amount of effort your body has to exert to absorb these nutrients.
The good thing is we have done the research for you. We've made use of 39 key ingredients in their most bioavailable form and painstakingly designed the ultimate multivitamin, suitable for both men and women.
Our team of in-house expert nutritionists has developed a custom formulation to fill nutritional gaps using only ingredients with the highest bioavailability.
Our Advanced Multivitamin has been designed to fill nutritional gaps in your diet and deliver all-round benefits and health and wellbeing. Proudly UK made without using any artificial filler and binders, our Advanced Multivitamin will help you become the best version of you.
Shop our new Advanced Multivitamin now.
Leave a comment